Search Wasak's blog

Saturday 7 December 2013

FIRST LOVE (episode 11)

In order to prevent myself from further hurt, i lied to Funke that i was low on credit and would therefore call her later. This was probably a good decision because it also helped to conceal my tears. I crept back into my room , and lay on my bed like a rejected piece of good. Well how was i different from that?

I pondered over the last 3 days, how worried i had been about Funke when i couldnt reach her, i pondered about how well she appreciated my worry over her with cold responses. I pondered about the tears falling freely from my eyes , i asked myself whether it was the same me who found it hard to shed a tear drop when i lost an aunt the previous year....
It was about a week since Funke had accepted my proposal, the bulk of my thoughts, money and time was expended on her one way or the other, yet the best i could get in return was those responses...in between those thoughts, i found myself dialling her number once more, when she picked up , i found myself apologising for disturbing her the other time...i asked about her upcoming exams to which she responded positively, much to the delight of my hitherto sobber heart for reasons beyond me.
After the call, I concluded the same way Nnu Ego had concluded in 'the joys of motherhood' according to her, if you don't have children , the longing for them will kill you, If you have children the worry over them will kill you...my case was similar ''if you don't have a lover, the longing for them will kill you, when you finally think you found love, the worry over such love will kill you''!!!!

My conclusion wasn’t enough to deter me from loving Funke, rather it only made me love her more.
A few days later, I traveled back to school without even seeing Funke, when I had requested that I’d like us to meet, she told me in clear terms ‘it is not possible’, I accepted my fate or what choice hath a beggar?
When I returned to school, I couldn’t hold myself from breaking the news of my relationship to my friends which earned me mockery till date. Mt had requested for a pics of the supposed girlfriend and I told him I had none, this really angered him, he asked whether I met her in person, and I replied in the negative, he concluded I was probably joking because he failed to understand how a relationship would thrive on phone calls only.
During my discussion with Mt, Id walked in- Id was one of our very close friends then, he took interest in our discussion and also requested to see her picture, when I told him I had none, he burst out into minutes of laughter, Mt joined him and they both laughed at what they thought was acute foolishness on my part.
I didn’t allow their remarks deter me , but they and some of my other friends kept asking so many questions , I replied all of their questions in an enthusiastic manner , this really cracked them up, I didn’t understand the reason for their laughter then...but today, I think I do.
On one of such occasions I was on one of such long calls with my love, when Id came to my room , he patiently waited for me to end the call, and I ended in the usual way lovers do;
‘I love you’
Funke;’ok,bye’
After the call, Id inquired whether or not she replied in a like manner; I simply told him she had never told me she loved me. He insisted I call her back, right at that moment, I did and repeated ‘I love you’ , she replied in her usual manner, Id noticed this and he suddenly seized the phone from me!!!

I already knew his motive of seizing the phone from me and therefore didn’t bother wrestling it from him. I knelt down and begged him not to speak to her, at least not with that intention. He had planned to question her whether she truly loved me or was jus whiling away time with me, luckily for me the call went off due to poor network and didn’t connect for that moment.
I was in love, not only with my heart but with all the parts of my body, the feeling I felt having whenever I listened to Funke’s voice was priceless, I was so crazy about her to the extent that I recorded our conversation and played it over and over again , just to listen to her voice, usually anytime I speak with her, a big smile appears on my face and it lasts for as long as the memory of the call does. Funke was actually my happiness, my blessing , my food , my medicine …in fact Funke was me…I spend at least 30 minutes on phone with her, talking and talking about how much I love her, this really ate up a substantial part of my pocket money made worse by the fact that we used different networks. But I wasn’t bothered at all, I was determined to spend my blood on her..And so I continued the spending…
It happened that I was in a Mt’s room on one of such occasions after speaking to Funke, one of his roommates made an observation about seeing me in different corners of the hostel making long calls and according to him it was surely a girl, Mt went on to narrate what I told him about the relationship to his roommate, Donjaz as his roommate was called , after listening to Mt’s version went ahead to lambast me for being a fake Lagos guy. In his words ‘guy u Bleep up o and u sure say u come from Lagos? Person dey for Lagos guy dey Romance am, u dey here dey waste money dey buy card...sha I no blame u, na love u dey find, no be person like me wey dey find yansh’.
Everyone thereby present laughed at his utterances and as if to add salt to my injury , someone playfully added ‘loverboy’ and another wind of laughter blew …a name my friends would call me till date.

No comments:

Post a Comment